They say chocolate and coffee is match made in heaven. Who would argue that?
Most of the chocolate cake recipes out there do have a hint of coffee added to it. It brings out the chocolate flavor even better. But when you want to make chocolate mocha cupcake a hint of coffee is not enough. You need to find perfect balance between the chocolate and coffee added to the cake. I was lucky to find this balance with this recipe that I am going to share with you here. This recipe can be easily adapted to make egg version or vegan or just egg free or just dairy free. Thats why I love this recipe. Bonus – It is easy to make!
I found this recipe when working on my caffeine fix with cupcakes and it was a major hit at the office. So much that I had to make this again this next day. Hope you like this recipe too!
Chocolate Mocha Cupcake
Vegan Chocolate/coffee flavored cupcake with intense creamy coffee buttercream
For the cupcake –
- 2/3 Cup ( 90 g) All purpose flour
- 2/3 cup ( 125 g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 C ( 125 ml) hot water
- 2 tsp instant coffee powder
- 1/4 cup (25 g) unsweetened cocoa powder. [I prefer dutch processed]
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 2 Tbsp ground flax seeds + 3 Tbsp hot water OR 1 large egg for non vegan version
- 1.5 tsp vanilla bean paste. You can also use pure vanilla extract.
- 1/4 cup ( 80 ml) milk [Dairy or non dairy]
- 2 C (240 gms) powdered sugar
- 3 Tbsp water [Or heavy cream for non vegan version]
- 1/2 Tbsp vanilla bean paste or extract
- 3 Tbsp instant coffee dissolved in 1/2 Tbsp hot water. You can adjust the quantity of coffee as per your liking.
- 1 C (226 gms) butter at room temperature
Lets Bake it
Bake your cupcakes –
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree F / 180 degree C. Line your mini cupcake pans with liners.
- Mix 2 Tbsp ground flax seeds + 3 Tbsp hot water and let it sit for about 5-6 mins. Skip this step if you are using egg version.
- Sift together flour, baking soda , baking powder, salt and mix sugar in it.
- In another bowl, mix milk, flax mixture (or egg), oil and vanilla. Whisk vigorously.
- In another cup, add hot water to coffee granules, cocoa and baking chocolate (if using). Stir it well. Let the heat from the water melt the chocolate and bloom the cocoa. Keep it aside for a minute to cool it to lukewarm.
- Whisk both the liquid mixtures (step 4 and step 5) and add it to the dry ingredients. Stir is well to incorporate everything into the batter. I like to use hand mixer for few seconds.
- Pour it into the liners to about 2/3 cup full and bake it for 18 to 22 minutes or until they are done.
Make the buttercream –
- In a mixer fitted with paddle attachment beat the butter on medium high speed till nice and fluffy. About 2 mins.
- Add all the powdered sugar into the butter and start mixing on low/stir speed until fully incorporated. Then beat on high speed for 3 mins.
- Scrape the bowl and add the vanilla bean paste and coffee mixture and mix well.
- Depending on the consistency that you get slowly add the heavy cream when mixing on low speed. There were times when I did not even add a drop and at times I have used full quantity.
- Then increase the speed to high and beat for about 3 mins to make nice and fluffy buttercream.
- Reduce the speed to medium-low and mix for about 2 mins. This will reduce the air bubbles and make your piping a lot easier.Assembling the cake is easy. Just use your favorite tip to apply buttercream and insert a small straw to complete the coffee drink look