Classic loaf cakes are such a treat to eat with a cup of chai or coffee. I am not a big fan of American coffee cakes (the ones that are had with coffee drink). I instead prefer a rich pound cake or Victoria sponge cake without whipped cream or this super flavorful and moist loaf cake.
This is a veggie loaf cake with grated zucchini and carrots added and has a light citrusy tone to it with all the orange zest used. I love the aroma of orange in this cake. I wont call it a healthy just because it has zucchini and carrots added. After all it is a cake with sugar in it :). But it does make the little ones have some veggies.
I saw this recipe on food network (Anna Olson show). The only change I made was addition of carrots. So carrots are optional in this recipe but if you have it at home why not add it!. Mini chocolate chips are optional too. Next time I make this cake I will try using crushed walnuts in place of chocolate for the crunchy bite. So this is a very versatile recipe! And yes it very easy to mix up the batter and it doesn’t need a mixer.
Zucchini Carrot Loaf Cake
Zucchini Carrot Loaf Cake With Orange Zest
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) vegetable oil or any neutral flavor oil
- 2 large eggs (US)
- 1 cup (220 gms) granulated sugar
- 2 tsp finely grated orange zest ( about 2 large oranges)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup (200 gms) of all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cup loosely packed, coarsely grated zucchini and carrots
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degress F / 180 degress C. Grease and line a standard loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together oil, sugar, eggs, zest and vanilla.
- In another bowl sift together the dry ingredients – flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir the grated zucchini and carrots to coat it with flour.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix them until blended.
- If using chocolate chips stir them in the mixture.
- Put the batter loaf pan and bake until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean, 50 to 60 minutes. Allow to cool in the pan completely and then remove it from the pan