I am in middle of relocating (outside country) and I have so many perishables that I want to make use (of instead of trashing them). Pistachio is one of them. I usually buy the salted version of pistachios with shells. I love to snack on those when chatting with friends or watching a movie. But few months back I bought this one packet of non salted shelled pistachio to use in cakes, cookies or Indian sweets. I never really used them until this recipe where I wanted pistachio as a star ingredient and not merely an accompaniment to the other flavors or simple garnish.
During my quest to find such recipe for a cookie I was only disappointed. Chopped pistachios in a basic dough is not what I was looking for. So I ended up tweaking this recipe .
Every bite of this shortbread cookie has that classic nutty flavor of pistachio. It is not too buttery or sweet. And I love the snap of this cookie!
I carried it on our trip to Florida recently and 2 dozen cookies were gobbled up by 4 people as a “midnight snack”. That is how good they are!
I have used the icebox style to make these cookies because they are lot easier to make than cutout cookies and are beginner friendly. Also I have used some green color to brighten it up instead of going au natural (which looks dull green). This recipe is egg-free and can be easily veganized by right substitutions.
Pistachio shortbread cookie
Egg less version of pistachio cookies
- 113 gms (1/2 C or 1 stick) unsalted butter
- 100 gms (1/2 C) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 150 gms ( 1 1/4th C) All purpose flour
- 80 gms (2/3 C ) unsalted pistachios
- 1/8 tsp salt
- A drop of green food coloring (opt)
Lets Bake it
- Lightly toast the pistachios . I do it in a pan on medium heat for about 4 to 5 mins. Let it cool.
- Grind together all purpose flour and toasted pistachios to make a fine nutty powder. Then sift it through a fine mesh sieve. You might still have few pieces of pistachio that are left behind. Repeat this process till you dont have more than 2 to 3 Tbsp of pistachio pieces left.
- Cream together butter and sugar till light and fluffy – about 3 mins.
- To the creamed butter and sugar add the pistachio flour mix, salt and tiny drop of green color (opt). Mix well using a spatula to just incorporate the flour into butter. You can also use a mixer but you must be careful not to over mix it.
- Once it is just incorporated remove it from the bowl and knead it a little on the kitchen surface. You can lightly dust the surface using powdered sugar. Roll it into a log shape making sure it is even throughout the length.
- Wrap this log in a double plastic wrap and refrigerate it for 2 hrs. If you want to store it for later use you can keep it refrigerated for up to a week.
- When ready to bake the cookies, remove the log from the fridge for about 30 mins. It is easier to cut it after 30 mins than straight from the fridge. Preheat the oven to 350 degree F / 180 degree C. Line your cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the log horizontally and cut 1/8th inch wide cookies using sharp knife.
- Place the some cookies on the cookie sheet. They do not spread much so you can keep them fairly close. If you want you can garnish them with some chopped pistachios. I used those leftover pieces from step 2 🙂
- Bake them for about 18 mins or until the edges are lightly browned.
- Cool them completely. Transfer to an airtight container. Store, refrigerated, for about two weeks or for one week at room temperature.
Now that the cookies are baked, it is time for a hot cup of chai!